Though always developing, I would use the following adjectives to best describe my teaching style:
My presentations and group discussions are engaging in style and also engage student learning. Through my enthusiasm for the subject matter and my humor, I facilitate effective and long-term engagement with course materials.
- "His love of this subject shows and is contagious." --- Concise Greek Student
- “Chris is a very natural presenter with ease and comfort in classroom management. His sense of humor coupled with deep intellectual reflection will be great assets in his academic career and future teaching. He is one of the best TA's I have had in my three years at Candler.” --- New Testament and Ethics student
- "Chris is clearly passionate about the material and invites discussion and fosters conversation well. His use of technology in the classroom has made the readings/discussions interactive both inside and outside of the classroom." --- Interpreting Religion student
Both in class and out of class, I establish relationships with students that are based in trust, encouragement, and honesty. Whether floundering with Greek participles or wrestling with the contemporary challenges of biblical texts rooted in ancient patriarchy, I encourage students to ask questions without fear and be hospitable toward the answers of others.
- “...Chris gave us the ability to have a voice...” --- Interpretation of the New Testament II student
- "…he welcomes all opinions and perspectives and uses them to steer the course conversation in creative and informative ways.” --- Interpretation of the New Testament II student
- "Chris was effective in holding our hands, then letting go when we were ready…Chris is a gifted teacher!" --- Concise Greek Student
Teaching is not only a craft I pursue worth passion and creativity, it is an integral part of my professional identity. I bring elements of professionalism to my teaching, including: strong organizational skills, effective classroom management, and clear communication.
- “Excellent adult teaching strategies; clearly loves the topic; very knowledgeable; stretches students to learn; excellent communication in class and via emails.” --- Interpretation of New Testament II student
- “Helpful with questions, relaxed but focused on the goals of the class. Encouraging and skill in his presentation of issues for discussion.” --- Readings in Biblical Greek Student
- “His lectures were very clear and helped to contextualize the course readings.” --- New Testament and Ethics student